Automation makes your life more stressless and efficient, and your house more welcoming.
To make home automation accessible to anyone, we developed the Prota app Stories, with its written language interface for more intuitive automated workflows.
Stories is a powerful and flexible automation tool that acts as a home assistant and help you with your daily tasks. Let your house take care of repetitive tasks for you while you stay up-to-date on major information that matter.
Here are our top 5 favorite smart home and office automations with Stories app, to improve your daily life both at home and at work:
1. Remotely trigger your lights
Your house’s lights at the tip of your fingers! With Telegram app, you can create a bot which automatically turn on and off your connected lights based on pre-programmed messages you send to it. Setting up a bot is very easy and makes so many things practical. Let’s review how to do that.
Set up a Telegram Bot
- Download the Telegram app on your smartphone and create a Telegram account
- Download the Telegram app on your Prota and setup a bot as explained below
Connect lights (Using Philips Hue bulbs and WeMo WiFi socket)
- Download the Hue app on your Prota and connect your Philips Hue bulbs to it
- Download the On/Off app and connect your WeMo socket to it
Automate in two storylines
- Write a storyline that turn on lights when you write “Lights on” to your bot
- Write a storyline that turn off lights when you write “Lights off” to your bot
That’s it! In less than 20 minutes, the automation is set up and you’ll now be able to control your lights from your bed, from your car or wherever you travel to and realize you forgot to turn them off.
2. Keep an eye on what’s going on at home
It keeps parent’s minds at peace to know their kids are safe-and-sound and back at home. With a simple automation on Stories, get notified when your relatives come back home and receive this notification on Slack, your office messaging tool.
Register your smart devices (smartphone) to track it with BlueTag
- Open BlueTag app and start scanning
- Select a surrounding bluetooth device and name it accordingly
Connect Prota to your Slack account
- Open Slack app and link it to your office account
Automate in one storyline
- Write a storyline that message you on a private Slack channel when your kid/relative smartphone bluetooth is detected at home
3. Automate your morning coffee
There is nothing like a morning coffee to start the day smoothly. Unfortunately, some mornings are such a rush you sometimes don’t have time to start your coffee machine and wait for it to be prepared. With a simple automation with MicroBot Push, you can let your MicroBot prepare coffee every morning for you, and even adapt according to your schedules on specific days or between weekdays and weekend.
Connect your MicroBot to Prota
- Open your Prota Space and click on pair now
- Pair the right MicroBot Push
Install MicroBot Push on your coffee machine
Automate in one storyline
- Write a storyline that triggers the MicroBot Push when it is 7.30AM on weekdays
Now your coffee will be ready for you when you get up!
4. Stay updated on important emails
Constant flows of notifications and new emails make it increasingly harder to spot the most important emails and focus on emergencies. With a simple automation, you can let your desk’s Philips Hue alarm you of an incoming important message, whether it’s from a specific person or relative to a major subject.
Connect your Hue bulb
As mentioned in point 1.
Connect your email address
- Open the Email app
- Add your email address
- Some might require a permission to go further (Gmail included)
Automate in at least one storyline
- Write a storyline that turns your desk light to pink (RGB 255, 182, 193) when you receive an important message
5. Open your garage door with Amazon Alexa
Amazon Alexa makes voice command accessible to anyone. Combined with MicroBot Push, you can now trigger any device and appliance with just few words! Let’s see how you can automate your garage door so that you can ask Alexa to open it for you when you’re ready to go.
Install MicroBot Push on your door opener
Connect your Prota and Push to IFTTT
- Download the IFTTT app on App Libraries
- Go to IFTTT and connect your Prota and Push to the service
Automate in one applet
- Write an applet that triggers MicroBot Push when you say “Alexa, trigger the garage door”
If you love automating your house, don’t hesitate to follow our projects on Instructables and our Twitter for more updates on cool use cases! Also have a look at our support page for more guidance on each app.